Saturday, November 13, 2010

Celiac Sprue

In June of this year (2010), my daughter Isabelle was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue. At first, I was devastated! My mom has Celiac, and her life has been everything but easy. In and out of hospitals, countless testing, and a billion procedures. No parent would want to see their child go through what my mom has been through. However, I have come to the conclusion that I can't compare my mom's life to what my daughter's can potentially be. My mom lived many, many, many years without the information we have today. I am on a mission to do everything in my power, to make my daughter's life great! I can't view the negatives and allow them to hold me down. My devastation lasted a day or so, and then I saw the light ahead. This is going to be a journey of greatness! Isabelle is lucky to have a family so educated on this disease. Over the years, I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have learned how to ask the right questions, and to speak to the right medical professionals. My mom has also blessed me with her cooking ability. Because of her sickness and limitations, my mom has become a gourmet cook! Cooking at home, and cooking from scratch had become a must for her. As a child, we ate amazing home cooked meals on a regular basis, and never knew they were gluten free! I can only hope my kids look back when they are adults, and remember the amazing meals of their childhood like I remember mine! My daughter will be the healthiest kid in her class and on our block! She has limited options when in comes to fast food, which is great in it's own strange way. I LOVE fast food, but we all know how bad it is to consume! Our family is going to be healthy because of Isabelle! I plan to BLOG a lot about information I find, and information I do not find. My frustrations, my concerns, the good moments, and the bad. At this moment, everything is going great! As long as we stick to the diet, which we will do 150%, Isabelle is going to be fine! I look forward to your comments and shared knowledge on the subject! This is a journey for us as a community, not just us as a family!

2 comments:

  1. i have never heard of this, so i am going to look it up. And i will keep reading your blog to see how things are. Hope all stays well! ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan what a beautiful blog, it brought tears too my eyes. Absolutely Iz will be fine, your an amazing mother and there's more positives than negatives. You know I've bought some really bad gluten free foods but if you get creative it's very good. My goal this Thanksgiving is to try and make a gluten free stuffing and pumpkin pie, why should I miss out, right!!!! Isabelle is a princess and very happy child and she will always be that way with your positive reinforcements.

    ReplyDelete