Monday, January 31, 2011

Carbonnades A La Flamande- Julia Child's Recipe- January 23rd 2011

So in the morning... we were going to head out for a day at Disneyland. The winds were blowing out of control, so Ryan Matthew had a great idea!! He suggested we go to Borders Books, buy the Julia Child's cookbook, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," pick a recipe, go to Costco to get all the ingredients, and make a yummy meal! What an AWESOME idea! He picked Carbonnades A La Flamande. It looked pretty simple to put together, but was going to take a few hours to cook. The recipe is Beef and Onions Braised in Beer. The process was a piece of cake! There is nothing better than pitting all of the ingredients into a pot and letting it cook! Browning the beef took a little time, but I enjoy cooking, so it didn't matter. Cooking to me is peaceful! It's kind of like gardening or going to therapy lol. The only difference with cooking is you get pretty immediate results and gratification. Gardening gives you flowers, fruit, or vegetables, months later usually. Going to therapy takes years sometimes to make any real progress =-) So I choose to cook! If you put your soul into it, you can have amazing results! Ok back to my experience and enough about how I heal myself lol...

The meat came out really tender! Perfectly cooked! The caramelized onions and brown sugar added a touch of  sweetness. Ryan Matthew made the parsley potatoes to go along side the beef, as suggested by Julia. They were buttery and yummy! I look forward to making this dish again, and can't wait to try some of the other recipes from Julia's cookbook! I'm a simple person that loves cooking! I've never studied cooking, but I watch the cooking channel as if it were my own personal professor. I'm sure some of the recipes will be more challenging than others, but I'm up for the learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment