Saturday, July 9, 2011

Adventure #2 of the Szechuwan Garden 07/08/11

I'm Sitting on the couch watching The Food Network's show, "Food Network Star," thinking... could that be me?? Could I be the next Food Network Star? LOL for this moment in time, I guess not. I can dream though, right!?! Food is one of my many passions. I love eating food, I love cooking food, and I love trying new and interesting food. My stars may not be in line for the Food Network yet, but for now I will settle for discovering the Szechuwan Garden of Moorpark.

Today's picks, which came from my lovely Facebook friends are #'s 25 and 100. Number 25 is Kung Pao Shrimp. Love it!! Woot, Woot (Thanks Niki!). Number 100 is Shrimp with Black Bean Sauce (sounds yummy, thanks Rachel). Today is a shrimp day! I love shrimp and I've had Kung Pao, so I'm not feeling intimidated at all.




The Kung Pao Shrimp was yummy as I was anticipating. I expected the sauce for the Kung Pao to be spicier, so that was a little disappointing... and then I bit into a chili. My tongue was burning along with the back of my throat. I spoke to soon, or I guess in my case since I was alone, I jinxed myself. I love the peanuts in the Kung Pao for the crunch factor, and the water chestnuts add a cooling factor. For me personally, there were a little too much of the water chestnuts, and not enough peanuts. Overall it was tasty and I would order it again.

The Shrimp with Black Bean Sauce was delish! I'm so glad this item was chosen for me! I don't know if I would have ordered it on my own. Not because I don't like black beans... I love black beans! I guess I just couldn't imagine a black bean sauce with shrimp. I'm not a picky eater, so I was excited to try something new! However; I have to say, I wasn't thrilled when I saw the green bell pepper mixed in with the shrimp. I usually pick those out of dishes, or I omit them when cooking at home. They are bitter, and just not one of my favorite veggies. I decided to take a bite of the green bell pepper first. If I could eat the pepper, than I felt I would be able to eat the shrimp. To my surprise, the pepper was great! The sauce was a little sweet and had a bit of a creamy texture. I think that caused the pepper to taste more mild than bitter. This dish also had onion in it which was a little caramelized. I absolutely love caramelized onion!! I will for sure order the Shrimp with Black Bean Sauce again!

Today I decided to order these items off of the lunch menu. The lunch menu gives you fried rice, an appetizer, and a Chinese salad. If you eat in the restaurant, you get a choice of soup, but for take out, it's an extra charge. Booooooo. The fried rice was nothing like the fried rice you can order off their menu. It was literally just fried rice. It didn't have carrots, peas, or egg in it. It was just rice. I should have just gotten the steamed rice. I would have been happier. The appetizer was a single fried Wonton, which was ok. I love anything fried, so I can't really complain about it. Just wasn't AMAZING. The salad was also a joke! It consisted of lettuce and lettuce LOL with a simple Asian dressing. The dressing was sweet, but there wasn't much of it, so I can't really give an effective comment. Next time I will order the items solo, and not order them as a part of the lunch special. 

2 comments:

  1. Yum! You are welcome. I could never do that. I am too picky. I do love kung pao though. Shrimp not my thing. I usually get the beef lo mein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats funny Niki! The reason I thought you cheated was because it was something I would really enjoy and pretty standard for Chinese food!

    ReplyDelete