Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Rockfish Experiment

From what I'm reading on the internet, Rockfish is supposed to be a pretty tasty and a mild flavored fish... I must have gotten a bad batch because I was NOT impressed! I don't usually buy frozen fish because I try to keep our family dinners as fresh as possible, but one afternoon while shopping at JONS Market, I felt like trying something new! I Love Jons Market because of their variety of ethnic foods, and I've seen Rockfish on several cooking shows! I guess the difference between me and the cooking show chefs are the skills and knowledge for the fish. I am a total fish lover! I especially love sushi, and I love trying new things! I like to be adventurous and I LOVE FOOD!!!! Anyone that knows me will tell you, I spend about half of my day thinking and talking about food LOL!


The About Food website describes Rockfish as being excellent no matter how its prepared. http://fishcooking.about.com/od/standardfish/p/rockfish_profil.htm

I am willing to give it a second try, but I think I'll find it fresh and prepare for my meal better. Tonight I used a sauce I bought from Trader Joe's in Simi Valley! It's called Many Cloves of Garlic (Trader Joe's brand)... The sauce is awesome!! I've used it in the past to make a quick spaghetti sauce. Half this jar and a whole jar of Trader Joe's Marinara is a delish go to meal if I'm in a rush (which isn't the case). I thought for sure it would work for the rockfish! Garlic with anything is amazing!!!!! I sprinkled the top of the fish with salt and pepper, coated the rockfish with the Many Cloves of Garlic Sauce and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese! Baked at 400 for about 25 minutes... and just like that, it was done! I know, I know... Fish and cheese don't pair well. I use the Parmesan cheese more as a crust when I cook tilapia. My kids and I love it! So for tonights meal, I served it along side an organic quinoa mix. My kids didn't seem to mind the flavor of the fish, but it wasn't good to my taste buds =-( I ate my small portion, but now I'm thinking... What shall I do with all this cooked fish? I thought of making a "tuna" type salad with it. Adding Mayo and a ton of seasoning. I don't want to just throw it out. I seriously HATE wasting food!! I could give it to the dog, but then I still feel like I'm cheating my kids a meal. Living on a budget, I try to use our food to the best of it's ability! What do you suggest? What would you do? I guess for now... this story it To Be Continued! I usually take pictures of my food but because I was so unhappy with the flavors, a picture didn't cross my mind. (That NEVER Happens!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment