Thursday, June 4, 2015

Rusty's Bar and Grill- Simi Valley


So, I am obviously a foodie if you haven't noticed by now. One of my favorite things to do (especially when kid free) is to try new places to eat. I have lived in Simi Valley for the last three years, and always seem to go to the same five or so places when needing a meal out. Actually, my family and I frequent Don Cuco's in Moorpark more than any place in Simi.... Don Cuco's has awesome service, delicious food, and the drinks are always refreshing and cold.... but that isn't the topic at the moment.

Yesterday I decided to visit Rusty's Bar and Grill based on Yelp reviews. Rusty's is located at 1368 Madera Road, Simi Valley, CA 93065. From the outside, it looks like a typical sports bar. Dark windows, beer advertisements, and their logo of a red head with big chi chi's... Stepping inside, the restaurant seemed clean and well kept. I have to admit however, there was a fishy scent that hit me as soon as I walked in the door. Maybe they just made a fresh batch of fish and chips, maybe the smell was coming from the sushi restaurant next door.... nonetheless, I decided to give it a try! I like to give places the benefit of the doubt (most of the time). 

The sever at the bar was friendly. I didn't get her name but she greeted us with a smile and seemed knowledgeable of the menu and drinks they had to offer. My go to drink is usually beer, but I decided to be adventurous and try a cocktail consisting of soju, sprite, and a splash of iced tea. I'd never heard of soju until yesterday! The drink I ordered was a Long Island type cocktail. It was refreshing, slightly sweet, with just the right strength!! If it was only for the drinks... I would go back... So the question is... What did I have to eat??

Jalapeno bottle caps- The first order was sent out burnt. Thankfully the server noticed before they even came to us and sent them back. She kindly asked the cook to make another batch. Based on their name and my lack of research, I expected something similar to a jalapeno popper. Much to my surprise, these were merely sliced jalapenos, battered and fried. I wouldn't be shocked if they were straight out of a can or jar. I think fresh fried jalapenos would have a different texture, but I could be wrong! They were tasty, but I was not impressed.

Fried Calamari- I am a huge lover of calamari!!! If calamari anything is on the menu, I have to try it! Again, I was not impressed. The batter was tasty, however the calamari was over cooked! Well don't calamari is not good! It was rubbery and hard on my jaw to chew. Since I was unimpressed my the jalapenos, I chose not to send back the order of fried calamari.


Buffalo Chicken Wings
NOT MY FAVORITE! Something else I love... A good dose of hot and spicy chicken wings! Actually my mouth is watering as I sit here and think about the tangy spicy sauce! These on the other hand... Not so great! The wings themselves were over done. Well done! Over cooked. Whatever you want to call it! We ordered the wings with the sauce on the side because my husband isn't a fan of the spicy sauce. I lathered mine up and took a bite. The sauce was typical but not fantastic! Hooters has the best wings... From what I've experienced! Disappointed again :-/ 

Overall- the experience was nice! The restaurant was clean, the drinks were good and the food was just ok... Will I visit again!? Not sure! There are so many other places I haven't experienced yet as a foodie! Hoping the next stop will be delish and not fail to amaze me ;-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment